Monday, May 21, 2007

NEWSWEEK ESSAY ON CONDOLENCES & MORE

Hello Friends, This is Jess, Book Review Editor of SSN.

Below you'll find links to my recent Newsweek essay on condolences, as well as links to some of our amazing review staff's publications: Carolyn Slutsky's article in The New York Times. Jessica Allen's article in Poets & Writers and Reese Kwon's review in The New York Sun. Enjoy!

'I'm Sorry' Shouldn't Be the Hardest Words
Losing my father was painful enough without having other people try to talk me out of my grief. By Jess deCourcy Hinds. Click here to read the article.

Reese Kwon's Review of "Singing America" by Caille Millner in The New York Sun

Carolyn Slutsky's piece on immigrant protest in The New York Times (Carolyn is also a reporter with Jewish Week, so you can find her on the newsstands every week!)

Jessica Allen's piece about Miranda July and The Believer in Poets & Writers magazine.

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I read your essay in Newsweek today, and wanted you to know you're not alone. I lost my father in November from prostate cancer; he was 58, I was 26. Your words rang true to the experiences I had, and I must say, your advice for the "Art of the Condolence" should be read by all. Thanks for putting it out there!

Shawna Blair
Washington, DC

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger FIONA said...

"The Art of Condolence" should be required reading before attending a funeral or memorial sevice. So many people think that they are being kind, when their words are more hurtful than saying nothing at all.

Our family has a relative in Hospice care. We have begun to grieve our loss, even though the actual death is yet to come. It is difficult to share this with friends, neighbors and coworkers. Their comments have been less than comforting.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home