Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doty / Sterns / Avery / the Underminer

Thank God for the SSN blog! I don't say that enough. Josh, Felicia, do you guys say that? I'd make a small wager that you do. I say it now because, away from the evaluating eyes of my employers, I can tell you that I've done jack shit today. I hit the ground running but one salami/turkery sub and weird-tasting cookie later and well...I'm rambling like a jackass.

Last night, despite a lingering cold, I sprung from a hard day's work to a hard day's night of covorting with the hip and literary. Not really, actually. I kept to myself and blushed often. First stop was the B&N Chelsea where Mark Doty read from his recently released memoir, Dog Years. I wish all writers lucky enough to read to an audience would take a lesson from Doty. He's concise, clear, and engaged with what he is saying. He likes questions but won't bleat on if a sentence or two will do. He doesn't even stutter. He's a rock.

From there, then lugging a New York Cheeseburger and fries in my gullet, I took the V-train down to the Happy Ending reading series hosted by Amanda Stern. Sheri Joseph, Ellis Avery, and Mike Albo were the readers and as required by Amanda they each had to attempt something they had never done before on stage. Sheri showed us her androgynous sketches of David Lee Roth and sci-fi boy-heroes of her own creation. Ellis (who I've interviewed and am now editing a transcript of indescribable brilliance) sang the chorus of a Japanese pop song--in Japanese! Mike Albo, aka Gawker's the Underminer, did something so brilliant I can't even guess what to call it. Basically he recited clusters of common utterances, all indicative of our frivilous and shallow society, and enunciated each in succession with such accuracy and pace that I still can't make any sense of it.

GODDAMN I HAVE A HEADACHE!!!!

Sorry, I was so happy then, POOF, my head hurt.

5 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no mention of the heckler? "Winner! Winner!" I'd call Mike Albo's piece a brilliant sound-byte monologue about the landscape of our cultural detritus. And Amanda's last name is Stern, not Sterns. In other words, I was there, too and it all rocked. Sheri's drawing's were hilarious. All drawn when she was 14 and most were of characters from the novels she herself had written. Yes, at 14. Oh, and Ellis Avery can ACTUALLY sing as well.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger michael signorelli said...

Good point, he was winning. Should've got a shout out. I can only reproduce so much reality at a time.

I tried to downplay the fact that at 14 Sheri was smarter than I'll ever be. But it's not about me, is it?

You anonymity is disarming. Be a name.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger michael signorelli said...

I didn't mean to sound so uppity. Thanks for being there too.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger joshua citrak said...

unfortuantely, i don't often have many interesting things to say. but when i do it's "thank god for the ssn blog!" (read: your posts)
i enjoy them all greatly.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger michael signorelli said...

Thanks, Josh!

Fan the flame.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home