Monday, December 04, 2006

Hem the Master

Scribner is re-releasing "The Sun Also Rises" in paperback with a seven CD set of the great Hemingway book read by William Hurt. I've been listening to the CD's and reading along a little bit as I'll be reviewing the book/CD's for SSN. It's been quite awhile since I read this book and I'm amazed how well it holds up (both in the writing and under my own jaded skepticism). There have been many points in the novel where one still gets the sense of the mighty Hemingway throwing words down onto paper like Zeus threw lightening bolts down from Mount Olympus and you just have to give props to the master of American fiction.

From Chapter Three:
I was very angry. Somehow they always made me angry. I know they are supposed to be amusing, and you should be tolerant, but I wanted to swing on one, any one, anything to shatter that superior, simpering composure, Instead, I walked down the street and had a beer at the bar at the next Bal.

From Chapter Four:
Then I thought of her walking up the street and stepping into the car, as I had last seen her, and of course in a little while I felt like hell again. It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home