Monday, May 29, 2006

small spiral notebook interviews...

Alison Weaver interviews David Goodwillie (Seemed Like a Good Idea at The Time, Algonquin Books, June 7) for Small Spiral Notebook:

Setting is very important in a book, and my book is set in New York City in a cultural time that I find in a lot of ways shocking and difficult to live in without being constantly disgusted by what is going on around us. And we do do it to ourselves. It's like politics. A lot of times people are disgusted by it, but politicians are just reacting to a general public. We live in this time of instant gratification, of reality trumping fiction, whether it's reality television or blogs, and it's part of the reason memoirs are so popular. People want real grit. It's why the tabloids are so popular, and it's why we have Jessica Simpson, but even if it's all shit, even if all this reality is nothing, we are still fascinated by it, and I was fascinated by it and am fascinated by it. Again, there is a cultural clash between that and people who are trying to pursue art or something virtuous. This is clashing with the reality of our culture. I get embarrassed by it all the time. That quote is referring to baseball memorabilia, and even though I worked in that field for five years, including at the highest level at Sotheby's, I find it completely disgusting.

click here to read the entire interview

and...

Jennifer Uhlich interviews Michelle Wildgen (You're Not You, June 2006) for Small Spiral Notebook:

Michelle on food in prose:
Part of it is simply that I love to read about food. Some people like details of landscape, which bores me senseless; I love to know what people are eating or drinking. Food, like sex, is such an effective way of catching your characters unawares or vulnerable, devoting themselves to desires they may or may not approve of or even have thought through. I used to do some food writing, and when I first got out of college and wanted to learn about food and wine, I went to the best restaurant I could find at the time and worked there for three years as a waiter. (The restaurant in You're Not You slightly mirrors that one.) I still cook a lot and read about food a great deal.

click here to read the entire interview

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home